Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Be Strong



When I was a senior in highschool my older brother joined the Army. We were very close and
have always gotten along, so it was a difficult adjustment to have him away from me. I was
so proud of him serving our country, but scared, too, because we were at war. One day my
dad brought home a flyer from work that showed a soldier on his knees praying with a caption
underneath him that said: "Be strong in the Lord and in His mighty power." [Ephesians 6:10] I
treasured that verse and always ended my letters to my brother with it. I did not know then how
much I would need this verse in years to come.

I am now married to a United States Marine Corps officer and we are learning everyday how to be
ever-so-flexible with the military. We've had so many fun adventures together and being part of
the military has been quite an experience. With the joys and blessings of being a military family
also comes difficulties and hardships which non-military families do not understand.

A few months ago, our church in Anacortes, WA sang a song, "Be Strong in the Lord" and it
reminded me of the praying soldier and Ephesians 6:10. My husband and I were going through a
particularly uncertain time and found that song and verse encouraging and convicting. The verse
commands us to "be strong." Not weak, not anxious, not fearful, but strong. Why? Because the
Lord is mighty, powerful, and sovereign.

I don't know what each of you are going through and where you are in life, but I do know we can
all take comfort in knowing our almighty, powerful God is in control and everything that happens
in your life, the blessings and the pain, are all part of His perfect plan for you. It is my prayer that
you take comfort in these precious truths from our Lord.


~Laura Egerdahl

No comments:

Post a Comment